Reflexology: A natural detox ?
Fiona Cowie tells us how Reflexology can be a natural way to detox the body
If you’re feeling a bit sluggish much emphasis is on detoxifying our bodies. Here’s why a reflexology treatment may help with the process of detoxifying the body.
The 2 main organs particularly important for detoxification are the liver and kidneys. (Followed by the lungs, skin and digestive tract).
Within reflexology, tapping into the lymphatic system has aim to significantly improve circulation which may promote detoxification as well as weight loss.
Working on the endocrine glands, reflexology balances your hormones and helps calm the body’s reactions to stress.
Pressure points on your feet may be used to trigger a variety of responses within the body that may be conducive to weight loss. For example:
- Spleen reflex: stimulation of this reflex may reduce hunger pangs.
- Stomach and pancreas reflexes: allow the body to absorb more nutrients therefore although eating less food, maximum nutritional value is retrieved.
- Endocrine gland reflexes: (thyroid, pituitary, adrenals)
- Balanced secretion of hormones results in less stress in the body, allowing for a healthy eating plan easier to maintain and follow.
- Gallbladder reflex: storing bile the gallbladder continually secretes digestive fluid. Bile emulsifies fats of partially digested food thus leading to weight loss.
Poor lymph circulation may cause unwanted water retention due to the lymph flow “bottling up” which results in a bloated or swollen appearance.
By stimulating the lymphatic system through reflexology techniques, harmful toxins may be flushed from the body as well as aiding the recovery of any tired or sluggish feelings
After a “detox specific treatment” clients have claimed to feel rejuvenated and cleansed as well as finding a greater sense of clarity and well being.
Therefore reflexology may be an excellent way to cleanse your system naturally whilst afterwards of course drinking lots of water!
Clinical Reflexologist in Edinburgh